Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Trip Report: Bath's Vegetarian Pub "The Porter"

Billed as Bath's only vegetarian pub, The Porter has a lot to offer. First, it's not far from the main tourist attractions (in fact, it's on the way to the Circus and Royal Crescent). Second, it's easy to spot. Third, it has lunch specials for only five quid which include a drink. But it's the charm and the delicious food of this place that made my husband and I eat here twice on our visit.

The Porter has your typical pub fare: sandwiches, toasties, pies, jacket potatoes and chips galore. For lunch I tried the cheese and chutney toastie with a side of chips. Simple and delicious, the toastie came with a spot of salad and cole slaw, a nice creamy accompaniment. I tried the golden hare, one of the local brews on tap and found it light and refreshing. For dinner, I opted for my first welsh rarebit, vegetarian style. The Porter's rarebit is served on perfectly warmed naan bread with a hint of curry. With a plate of chips with freshly shredded cheese and a half pint of cider, I was a happy woman. My husband tried out the mushroom pie. Although the filling was a bit too mushy for my taste, the pie itself was a flaky delight. It came served with hand mashed potatoes. He taste tested the four cheese pizza for dinner, and this came Italian style, thin-crust with generous portions of cheese.

The Porter also has live music, open mic nights and stand-up comedy on Sundays in their cellar, all of which are free. Sadly we weren't around long enough to partake, but if I ever visit Bath again, I'm going back and you'll see me in the cellar, cider in hand.

See the menu and learn more about The Porter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment