Guten Tag! Merci! Sumimasen! Grazie!
You don't have to be fluent in a non-native language to travel. But if you're traveling to a non-native language speaking country for any length of time, even with dictionary in hand, a few memorized words and phrases will make your journey a lot more enjoyable. If you're one of those unlucky people who has a difficult time learning languages, then make a cheat sheet for yourself. I've typed some words out and laminated them in a size that fits easily in my travel wallet. When you travel to another country, you're a diplomat. You may be the only person from your country who has ever visited. Knowing the words and phrases below will help the locals view you as a responsible world traveler, and a credit to your home country.
* Hello/Good Morning/Good Afternoon
* Thank you
* Excuse me
* Do you speak (insert language here)?
* I don't speak (insert language here).
* I would like... (you can always point!)
* Where is... (name your favorite destination or attraction...or missing family member!)
* How much?
* I cannot/do not eat... (meat, gluten, insects, etc.)